Please make sure you post in the Introduction board so you can get full access to the site.

Author Topic: Changing "floor" textures among other issues.  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Vardia

Changing "floor" textures among other issues.
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:20:08 AM »
Hey there, I was looking into enhancing XI's graphics on my own time and so far it's been good with the weapons and armor and other things. The only issue I'm having is that I'm unable to convert (what I assume are) the .dats for the ground, such as the forest floors or stone walkways in San d'Oria. The model viewer is unable to find them as they're not really models and just .bmp/.dds I guess? I tried converting it to .mpq but that didn't help at all.

Within the same vein, I'm also not able to find the models for trees, mountains, buildings, and other props for the game, which I also want to enhance visually. I'm not sure if anyone dwells on these forums much anymore but if anyone could help me out here I'd be forever in your debt.

Offline Kamilynn

• Newbie modder who happens to not suck too much
  • Link Master
  • I mostly edit female mods but feel free to request
    • My Photobucket - Warning, cluttered
Re: Changing "floor" textures among other issues.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »
I know there was a list that had that information somewhere but I'm not sure. The way to edit the texture files of things that don't have skeletons (ie zones and trees and furniture) was to extract the .dds (usually with Changetex), do your recoloring, then put the new .dds in there. There were evben a couple mods that HQ'ed zones by altering the size of the texture files with hex editing (something I've never learned how to do).

There weren't many of these edits but they were all epic in their undertaking and alteration of the things we all got so used to seeing. I have really no info beyond that, and at this point I don't know where to find someone/someplace who does. :/
Back online but out of the loop too long, I need some reintroduction to this stuff! :D

Offline Alfarjamie

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:54:22 PM »
I also want to do the same thing and retexture the entire games scenery into something less... garbled mess like. "HD" If you like.

No idea what tools are needed, or an area viewer that works or even a texture extractor for the zones..

Does no one know?

Offline Vardia

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:29:39 AM »
Ugh really? That's a damn shame. I'll try to search around for some type of program that works. Maybe. I can't really think of anything though. How disappointing. I was all ready to go and HD the world up.

Offline JeanPaul

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »
Not sure about floors, but from my experience with weapons, to change a texture to one of a larger size requires going through VRS. It's possible it would carry over things as well. Does VRS work with non-character objects? Anyway, this is what I do with weapons:

1) Load the file you want to work with in VRS. If you haven't familiarized yourself with it, there are other tutorials out there so hopefully you can get an understanding (I'm too lazy at the moment to type out a step-by-step tutorial).
2) In the big "family tree" like display window, select the .dat you just loaded.
3) Import the new texture you want to use (should be a bitmap).
4) In the model display window, change the selection option to "Polygon" and select everything in that .dat. All polygons should have a blue highlighting around them.
5) In the Toolbar, under New, select Texture Create. The model should turn red and a new box will appear in the "family tree" beneath the dat.
6) In the Toolbar, under View, select Texture Open. Change the Mapping Projection to UV. Change the Picture Name to the new bitmap you imported. In the Use Area L-T, make it the X-Y dimensions of your bitmap, but -1 (so X=255 and Y=255 if your image was 256 x 256 pixels).
7) Select FFXI Model Save in the little Tool Window. I highly recommend saving it in a different folder and not overwriting your original files.
8) Take a break.
9) Back to business! Ok, load your newly saved .DAT in ChangeTex. The old texture is still there, though it serves no purpose. Technically, it's not an issue, but it's always good to neaten everything up.
10) Check out the line for the older texture. The last two columns are "Address" and "Data Size". Remember these two numbers (or at least just don't close ChangeTex haha).
11) In a Hex Editor, use a "Go to Address" tool or whatever and enter in the "Address" you got from ChangeTex. Make sure it's set to Hexadecimal, and not Decimal, or else you will get screwed up. The characters it takes you to will probably be appearing after a shitload of 00's.
12) In my Hex Editor, I have a drop down option to "Block <n> characters", which is a way of saying "Select <n> amount of thingies in the data". Anyway, use this tool and enter the "Data Size" you got from ChangeTex. Again, make sure it's in Hexadecimal and not Decimal. This ought to select the entire old texture's data. Delete this selected data (in my Hex Editor, it's called "Block delete"). You have now removed the actual old texture, but you're not done yet.
13) At the top of the file, there should be some crap referencing the old texture's name; a similar section just below it references the name of the texture you want to keep. Delete the crap, so it looks like your stuff is the only thing there (I hope this makes sense). Also, change the 4 characters after the semi-colon to match the first 4 characters in your texture's name.
14) Save, though I recommend making it a separate file just in case.

So far, I haven't had any issues with this method, but again, I've only worked with weapons.

Offline Kamilynn

• Newbie modder who happens to not suck too much
  • Link Master
  • I mostly edit female mods but feel free to request
    • My Photobucket - Warning, cluttered
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
Unfortunately, VRS editing in that way does not effect models that do not have skeletons - ie furnishings and environments....

However, It's a great tip, BUT I have an EVEN EASIER way to suggest getting rid of the old texture.... Because one of my favorite things is removing unnecessary file size so I've messed with it.

When you make the new texture file on the "family tree" in the schematic window in VRS, copy the name of the OLD texture file and paste it as the NEW texture file's name, then delete the old texture's box on the schematic. When it exports, the size changes will be applied, but VRS won't duplicate the old texture file in the exported .dat as it believes it is still there!

Mostly because hex editing terrifies me. So I've found some decent work arounds.
Back online but out of the loop too long, I need some reintroduction to this stuff! :D