Please make sure you post in the Introduction board so you can get full access to the site.

Author Topic: Hvergelmir Elemental Staff Set  (Read 3698 times)

Offline strider

Hvergelmir Elemental Staff Set
« on: October 16, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »
empyrean staff would make a great replacement for elemental staves only by recoloring the orb at the tip of it so would any modder be willing to do this simple recoloring please? :)

Offline Kamilynn

• Newbie modder who happens to not suck too much
  • I mostly edit female mods but feel free to request
    • My Photobucket - Warning, cluttered
Re: Hvergelmir Elemental Staff Set
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »
I believe it would be better to not just color the orb but to also color the staff itself considering that not all of the elements would be entirely suited with a blue handle.  You are right, it would be a simple recoloring.  Have you tried it ? Recoloring is quite possibly the simplest part of mods, and if it is something you want made because you'd like to use it (personally I am happy with my crystal elemental staff set so I haven't any interest) it would likely be worth your time to try it out  ^^
Back online but out of the loop too long, I need some reintroduction to this stuff! :D

Offline strider

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
i wish i knew how to mod stuff but i know absolutely nothing about it. yes, it may sound selfish asking for such an easy recoloring but you know, it is easy for modders, not someone with zero knowledge on how to do it, like me :(

also about the handle, it is not really necessary to recolor it for each elemental color. it can just be recolored to some color that would fit the handle and that color can be used on all staves.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:56:59 PM by strider »

Offline Kamilynn

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
Oh, I'm not gonna do it :o being a "modder" really isn't that different from being a "not modder."  I've only been messing with stuff for a few months.  It's not that hard, but personally I have this fault where I think people should learn things so that there might be more knowledge ^^ Basically, I would help you learn what you need to to do it yourself, as you are the one seeking such a thing, before I would do it myself, because I have no personal interest in it.

Like I said, is a flaw.  Far and beyond people are more willing to demand (not even request, it's crazy!) others to do what they wish before they attempt to do it :( And I may be a passive aggressive cynical girl, but at least I'm up front about it, and honestly willing to help.  Even if I do believe in the proverb "give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

Also, things you think won't be such a big deal generally tend to suck once it is actually done.  I did a request once using someone's name and they said they didn't mind it mirrored, but it is just as time consuming to map it not mirrored, and let me tell you, the backwards writing literally gave me a headache so I fixed it against their wishes before I sent it to them.  They agreed in the end, but either way...
Back online but out of the loop too long, I need some reintroduction to this stuff! :D

Offline strider

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:14:51 PM »
i am just asking if any modder would be interested enough to do it so he/she can use it as well eventually. of course i don't mind if you say you wouldn't do it but the whole point of having a request section on such forums is to give people a chance of asking others with experience in modding. i wouldn't be asking here if i was willing to train myself for months to learn this stuff. it is just common sense no matter how you look at it. i don't really want to turn this into an arguement so i am just gonna stop right here. this is just a request topic so let's leave it at that, shall we? :)

Offline Kamilynn

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
I wasn't trying to make an argument O.o You had just said "you can do it this way" in your post before you edited it, and I was just responding that I haven't a personal interest :o

To learn such a thing would not take months, it is a matter of minutes, and I would be more than willing to show you how to do it if you would like ^^

Offline Vlorsutes

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »
 Unfortunately a lot of the guides for recoloring (such as the ones you suggested to me awhile back) are outdated, making mention of using programs that are no longer available (or that the free versions suggested are no longer available). I don't mean to sound rude, but maybe you could write up a guide on instructing others on how to do recolors with the programs you use and then have it on this site?

Offline Kamilynn

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »
I don't do well with writing is all ^^ Let's see... What is there that is missing these days ?.? to recolor you only really need any image editing program, I use GIMP but it is a bit wonky and has a tad rough learning curve, Model Viewer, and GC3 (technically if you are fancy you don't need GC3 because you can use a .dds plugin for Photoshop or GIMP, but GIMP's is bugged - personally I only use it to import for Alpha mapping).  I know that there was a recent post with GC3 on neko sentai but that is irrelevant here so I could post it up.  I did a "guide" on texture swapping using MV already and no one seemed particularly impressed with that, and I got zero feedback on my model editing "guide" (which tbh is not a surprise, I kinda suck at putting things into written words normal people can understand).

But other than GC3, what is missing ? VRS and Metasequioa are not necessary for a texture edit, but in any case they are both available on their respective sites, though VRS has sadly not had an updated version in ages.  Well I suppose you could argue Changetex, but I never use it any more myself... In any case, those are the only 4 tools I use, (and not always do I use them all of course) and I can certainly plop the two up on this site.

I just die a little inside when someone says they refuse to learn :( I don't do well on the internet I suppose.  I always like to think people are as willing to expand their horizons as I am ^^

Offline Kamilynn

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 10:44:33 PM »
I posted up the GC3 and ChangeTex programs in the tools section, and wrote a bit of a blurb about how to use them, but I really recommend using the tutorials on http://www.grumpyrarab.ffximc.com/ the Grumpy Rarab site.  Everything I've learned I've approached sideways and learned by trial and error as opposed to actually doin it right ^^;

Also I just wanted to say my post wasn't meant in the least to be offensive or defensive but was created merely as a long winded response to the post that was directly above it, but as the author changed that post it kind of lost it's relevance, and I apologize.  It was not a rant at all O.o just addressed the above statements that are no longer there or have been altered.  Kinda makes me feel bad but eh, I have no reason to edit it, and I'm sorry that the author took it as an argument when it was nothing but point for point responses o.o

EDIT: This guide http://thegoblintailor.forumotion.ca/guides-walkthroughs-f5/dat-editing-for-newbs-by-amadaun-t138.htm is wonderful for editing dats, it has a good descriptive and illustrative step by step process for the export and reimport of textures.  It also has links to the sites for meta and VRS and a photoshop guide too if you need to learn how to do that kinda stuff.  It also has a link to GIMP (which is similar to photoshop so maybe the guides will be useful if you choose to use it as well) which is a good, albeit hard to get into, program.  I really enjoy it the more I learn, but I've not learned it all ^^;

There isn't much in this particular guide on model editing but as that isn't the issue at hand it is less than necessary.

Finally, dat modding is not hard, you just have to do it.  I have not been "training myself for months," I've literally only been TRYING for months and I've gotten to the point where I get several requests for assistance every week because there are so few active modders with my understanding (which is again, only a few months...) around anymore.  Every single person I have offered assistance to who has been willing to try has been shocked at how easy it is once they were done being so busy with their perceived inability, or downright refusal to attempt.  I realize I came to it late and I can't ever hope to get as many people involved as there was at the height of ffxidats.com's popularity, but I would still rather see my minute skill set spread around rather than have it die out completely.

Now, that was a rant ^^
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:22:28 AM by Kamilynn »

Offline destiney

• Frozen Death Blossom
    • Spirit of the Warlock
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »

So you're looking for something like this?

An yes it is literally a very simple procedure like Kami said. Took me a whole 30mins to do one staff. >.>' But that's counting the fact I redid that a couple times cause I wasn't happy with the coloring first few times. Recoloring annoys me to death if I can't get the coloring just right since I'm not overly skilled with graphic programs. Plus trying to remember how to use GC3 took about 5mins. XD (Gawd I'm so rusty at messy with .dats...)

I'm only doing this because I kinda want them myself. >.>; (An I will warn now that they may not come out looking the best since I'm an newb with GIMP when it comes to recoloring. If I ever decide they are good enough to share that is. XD)

Offline Kamilynn

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »
A good trick to use on color matching, in GIMP at least, is to use the paintbrush (or pen or even bucket fill, whatever your fancy) tool, and from the drop down menu in the tool tab of the tool box select "Hue" "Color" or at times "Saturation."  This can help with matching colors more precisely and not washing out detail as opposed to "Overlay," or using one of the color commands.  Of course you need to have the color you are trying to match as the main color to do that.  "Value" works well for some colors that are much much brighter or much much darker than the original image you wish to color, but you need to lower the opacity or else it generally wipes out all of the detail.  Another issue in regards to this mod in particular is that the orb may have to be a different shade to match well because it has a material attached and as such may render a bit differently (especially in lighting).  This is not necessarily going to be an issue on this mod, but if there is a noticeable difference when your colors seem to be exact, that would likely be the reason ^^

/2cents

Offline destiney

• Frozen Death Blossom
    • Spirit of the Warlock
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:47:17 PM »
Yeah... x.x I see what ya mean... XD

>.>; I hadn't thought of Hue/Saturation/Color. I was mostly using Overlay/Normal/Screen with differen opacity when needed.  Dark staff I did before you posted your tips. Earth staff (which I'm finding so hard to come up with a... earth staffy... tone...) was after your tips. XD I can see where I lost some of the details of the staff trying to get rid of the blue coloring of the staff for the dark staff.

As for matching the orb an the handle... x.x Its not going to be an exact match because of the coloring of the staff. It goes from brighter to darker hues on the original in the staff handle (lighter at the top and darker towards the bottom).

But thanks for the tips Kami. :)

Offline Kamilynn

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
Helping is something I'm good at!  Most people are like "overlay onry" but it is so much better to know of and use the other tools :x

Looks good ^^!

::also /proud seeing you are using my face !::

Offline destiney

• Frozen Death Blossom
    • Spirit of the Warlock
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 10:22:48 PM »
Here's what I managed to do before Abyssea tonight. Granted I did this on my laptop an not my desktop since I was watching a movie. So they probably need a bit more work still before I even make them all races. Going to see how bright they are tonight in abyssea before I move them to my desktop tomorrow an see how bright they are from my normal gaming machine.